Thursday 19 January 2012

Take care

Oooh, my goodness.

Have you ever wanted grab someone and give them a good shaking, or a slap around the noggin'?

Being a Strokie, and fairly obvious one, (there are infinite degrees of Strokie) peeps tend to be a little more open about their health probs when we chat.

Luckily, I'm not behind the barn door in being blunt. Well, lucky in that it's a while since I was last punched in the gob. I know! Me of all people! Terrible, 'innit? Where was I? Oh, yeh. Slappers.

I know a bloke who's suffered from Gout all his life. Not his fault, genetic quirk. In his 60's, had it since a kid. Gout is a build up of Uric Acid crystals in the body, specifically in the joints. The crystals erode the joints, causing terrible pain and a lot of mobility problems.

It's made worse, much worse, by alcohol. In the 1600 & 1700's it was known as Port disease, because upper class gentlemen who consumed large amounts of Port had the problem.

Knowing all this, the chap insists on bunging his system full of powerful pain killers so he can make the half-mile walk to the pub. Notwithstanding what the heck the mix of potent morphine based drugs and alcohol is doing to him. Can I tell him? Can I heck.

And yup, he gets Higher rate Mobility DLA.....

~~~~

There's a chap who has incontinence probs. He's diabetic and one of the effects of diabetes is one gets thirsty. A lot. More, if I may be blunt, you pee a lot. Not because you drink a lot because you're thirsty. The tablets and/or insulin don't relieve that. Well, not much.

Diabetes damages your body, if it's not controlled properly. But what you drink is important. You don't drink 2-4 litres of a soft drink such as Cola a day. Low sugar soft drinks are just that. Low. No extra sugar simply means 'we don't add anything more than the ingredients we include in the first place - we formulated it after all'.

Diet drinks use artificial sweeteners, such as Aspartame and/or Phenylalanine. In small amounts, no problems. But if you drink over a litre a day you are going to get diarrhoea, big time, because they have a laxative effect.

You don't drink 2 to 4 litres a time.




1 comment:

Wheelie said...

My apologies to the five that replied to this post, that I haven't published.

I decided to exercise moderators prerogative as you'd all linked through to your own blogs. Thank you for that.

If I'd allowed your posts, you would have made yourselves identifiable. I have no problems with debate, but I do have problems with peeps leaving themselves open to undeserved ridicule.


(1) No. The post didn't refer to any of you. If you empathise, I've done my bit.

(2) If you know me, then you know I've lost too many friends much younger than I who would still be alive today if they had taken a long hard look at what they do. Rather not lose many more.

(3) What's it got to do with me? See (2)

(4) Yes, I understand depression, and comfort consumption, and a wish for independence.

I personally believe that it's better to give up a little freedom to do exactly what you now to live a little longer.

(5) Who do I think I am? Ah, that's easy. I am the Wheelie :)

Hope that helps a little.