Friday 9 March 2012

I'm somewhat suspicious of the so-called 'Diabetic epidemic' that's supposed to sweeping the country.

When I had my first stroke, as part of the battery of tests I was tested for diabetes, because the symptoms of hypo, or low blood sugar, are very similar to stroke. The docs decided I was stroked, and a type two diabetic, partly because there's a historical family tradition of type one diabetes.

A type one diabetic needs to inject insulin to survive. Insulin isn't confined to type ones. Sometimes it's used in a combination with diet and other medication where for whatever reason someone's blood sugar levels are poorly controlled.

I'm a type two. My blood sugar levels are controlled by medication. In some sections of the press, that implies my diet is poor and that I'm obese. Not so, at least in my case. I have a decent, if scant diet, and I'm certainly not obese. I don't, and never have eaten anything high sugar.

I take a tablet called Metformin. It has side effects. Fluid retention, possible weight gain, and it's not for nothing on the diabetic forums called Met-Fartin.

I often correspond with other type 2's, who are 'skinny's' like me, but like the occasional bun or chocolate bar, sweet or three. They're asked to refrain.

Earlier this month, for various reasons, I spent four days without the meds, and chatting to other diabetics. But I checked my blood sugars regularly and they remained in the normal range. As if I was taking the meds. That's 12 tablets. And four days without all the side effects.

And though I'm back on them, I'm beginning to wonder - my quality of life off them is much better than with them. The sweet stuff bit doesn't bother me. I like my savoury.

But going without a little bit that you enjoy for many is a reduction of their quality of life. I'm beginning to wonder whether that unless someone is overweight, has liver or kidney problems or has problems with slow healing, eyesight, ulcers or lack of sensation? Say to the doc, hey, that's cool. Can we leave it a month and try again?

Because I'm not convinced that the loss of quality of life and the strict responsibility that comes with type two diabetes is always appropriate long term - because it is long term - is appropriate for everyone.


No comments: