Friday 11 May 2012

Learn, make and mend

I try to keep myself sharp by attempting to learn something new at least once a day, however small. 


Learn.


One of the handy little features of Windows 7 is being able to drag and drop icons oft used programs to the task bar. Like 'quick launch' on XP with bells on. But if it's an icon for for a batch file, it won't work.


A batch file ends in dot bat. ie, run.bat. It's just a very old fashioned and useful way of running one or more programs from a list, (and much more) or in my case, a java script program. To cut to the chase, to solve the problem right click the icon, click on the shortcut tab, and put 'cmd.exe /C' and a space in front of the text in box marked Target. So in my case that would be cmd.exe /C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bayer HealthCare\GLUCOFACTS Deluxe\run.bat".


You'll now be able drag and drop the icon onto the task bar. 


Make.


Only got a few mins to type this, but basically, a photo of a bit of rock will replace this text later/tomorrow. A neighbour heard  on the grapevine I used to do a bit of carving.


Last week he gave me a teeny, tiny, tungsten steel double ended chisel. 


This week he's picked up a 6" x 6" piece of multi layered soft flaky millions of years old sandstone while out walking his dogs on a local field. Gosh, the history of that rock....


So, I'm going to carve on it a wild Boar. Left handed, 'cos I can't do fine work right handed. 


Mend.


I'm married. Wanna list? :)

No comments: