Sunday 15 July 2012

Diabetes

I hope Daz is feeling a little better today. Daz, in his mid forties, who I've known for many, many years, is in hospital suffering from complications from Diabetes. Again. When you read this mate, as I know you will, I have a request from my neighbours. Please promise me to try not to frighten the life out them - and my lad - again. They thought the first responder car and ambulance was for me. Lovely!


And you can quit grumbling about my lack of blogs now, yes? :) (Tongue firmly in cheek)


Actually, I'd totally forgotten I have two very experienced First Responders living next door. Who were in. Blush. I *think* they're still talking to me....


I, like Daz, am a Type 2 diabetic. Type 2 diabetes, often refereed to as 'late onset' diabetes has many causes. Daz is a good 10 years younger than I, though we both were diagnosed in our thirties.


Though we have the same condition, it took us in different direction. He's had lots of complications recently, and has needed insulin injections for some time. On the other hand, I've had it longer, and just take 3 tablets daily, Metformin and it causes me no problems whatsoever, and never has. Mine is inherited.


If I may take the opportunity to dispel a couple of  myths about diabetes?


Diabetics have it because they eat too much sugar? No. I wish it was that simple. Diabetes occurs when the pancreas develops an inability to regulate blood sugars. I don't, and never have done sweet stuff. I'm into savoury. 


Recently, there have been some exciting developments in the treatment, such as stem cell injections that restore normal pancreatic function.


Diabetics are overweight? Sometimes. Being very overweight puts too much strain on everything, including  the pancreas. Ever heard the phrase "In every fat person is a skinny trying to get out" ? There's a little truth in that. Anatomically, it's like putting a two stroke engine into the frame of a 1500 cc BMW motorbike. Will it move? Possibly. But it will crawl and almost certainly burn out, and never make it up that hill. The answer is to lose weight, and for those people, that's a cure. Actually, if you're that overweight, diabetes is the least of your worries.


As always, eat well, exercise often - I mean, just keep moving. You don't need hours in the Gym. It isn't rocket science.


Diabetics bring it on themselves.  Sometimes. See above. It often has no obvious cause. I went in hospital with a stroke, and came out with a stroke and diabetes. That's because they test for diabetes on a stroke ward  because Low blood sugars have similar symptoms to stroke. Again, the pancreas has gone bonkers. 



Diabetics need special diabetic foods. Absolute rubbish. A marketing ploy by unscrupulous companies. Just eat healthily. Wassat mean? Heck it's the same as everyone else. Blow take-a-ways. Eat what you want. Nothing wrong with a treat now and again. If you fancy steak, sea food or fish, magic. My golden rule is same weight (about 6oz max) protein to veg, and veg is carbohydrate, and carbs break down into sugars.


Some are born with it. Absolutely true. This often called 'early onset', but also known as Type 1 (one). Born with it, or developing it between zero and twenty ish. Without regular insulin injections it can lead to death. A slow and nasty one where limbs, internal organs and eyesight jack in. 


The solutions nowadays include the insulin injections, or insulin pumps where electronics detect blood sugar levels and automatically inject insulin. 


~~~~~

But those problems can affect type 2 too. I'm a lucky one. I have no problems. But for whatever reason, those who's diabetes leads them to have too high or two low blood sugars, the biggest problem they face is diabetic neuropathy. That's where the nerves everywhere just stop working correctly. 


So, for instance, you get out and about. A shoe rubs on a toe, a heel? Or you get a little nick on a finger?


But you don't notice. You can't feel it. Untreated, it becomes infected. A diabetic is slow to heal.  Even treated. This can lead to, and often does, to amputations. 


Eyesight can fail because tiny blood vessels at the back of the eye can fail.

~~~~

Not good. If you have any questions, feel free to comment.


~~~~


My apologies if there are strange formatting problems and highlighting. I am aware of it, and I've found a temporary solution to compose in a text editor and cut and paste. Googles (Blogger) problem.

No comments: