Monday 12 November 2012

Cams

I use my webcam quite a lot. As a visitor said not long back, "It's a lifeline isn't it?" I suppose it it is. It's also allowed me to chat with people from different cultures. For instance, I've had a lovely conversation with an older, gentle Japanese businessman.

"Dray" he asked "Can you show me your hands?" Puzzled, I did. He chuckled. "By gum" he said, in a really bad Yorkshire accent. "Grow those little finger nails mate" Apparently, a long little fingernail on the right hand is a sign of status among the older generation, the theory being that someone who hasn't done manual labour would have unbroken nails. The Japanese have a very strong work ethic, and a strong sense of class structure.

Unlike the British class system of people having a vague sense of their place, the Japanese strive to overcome their place in the pecking order and throw themselves into copying their Elders to attain that they believe is status.

That may sound silly to a Brit or a Merkin, but the the elder Japanese population are living longer, and they far outnumber the young 'uns, so their traditions are surviving.

~~~~

I've set up a little webpage using my video camera using Yawcam and No-ip so that when the family, and a few friends know I'm on my own so they can check on me while their out through their computers or mobiles. I dunno what they think I'm going to do. Most boring video feed ever. Oh, look. A cat?

But seriously, that combo of services, both free, would be cool if you are a weather watcher, monitor an aviary, a nest, home security, wherever your imagination takes you.

Catchya.  




No comments: