Thursday 8 November 2012

Twonker

That's a new one. Someone has just phoned and explained very calmly that because I'm better off than they are, I have 'a duty' to help them out. Hoooo kay. That made me smile.

I decided to take the bait, as they'd obviously given it some thought. I glanced down at the caller display. Hmmm :) What, I asked, makes them think I'm better off than them? "You have a Blue Badge, right?" Ah. I know where this is going. No. Don't drive. Not allowed to. "But you can use your badge if being driven by a friend or relative". If I had one, yes. But I don't.

"On the level of disability benefits you're on, you should have" Why's that then? I asked. "You don't go out much, you don't walk too well, and you don't go out alone. You must have one". I tend to agree. Perhaps I should. But that's not the way it works. I don't get that level of mobility benefits BECAUSE I don't get out much. Bloomin' contradictory thinking as mobility benefits are there to 'enable' me to get out more...

Not that I owe you an explanation, I said.

"I've seen you walk to the shop with Bear" Thar'y'go, Cut to the chase, I said. "If you can go out, well, y'know....."

~~~~

That old chestnut.

Perhaps I should explain here that when someone gets a disability benefit it's not 'free' cash. It's someone who has been through the mill of being medically assessed under whatever government guidelines  and often much, much beyond those guidelines as needing help to be on the level playing field as the rest of humanity. It's that simple.

In practice, that may mean having the cash to pay for carers to accompany you, a carer having to interrupt their lives to help, paying for private care, disability aids, help in getting work, exercising  their considerable skills, help with travel. Doing all those things people take for granted.

My disability benefits aren't means tested. That means any benefits are not affected by my income because the benefits enable me to have an income. I'd be a greater burden on the state unless I was enabled to have an income.

It does not mean stuck in, waiting to die like a bloomin' sprout.

I am 'allowed' out. I am 'allowed' to have someone with me. I am 'allowed' to have a life.

~~~~~

Glanced at the caller display again  So, I asked, your point is? They paused that second too long. Mobile? I said. Nice. Get a good deal? "Yeah, £25 a month, 500 meg dahh...?"

Let me guess. Direct debit I said? without pausing for breath. Overdrawn?  That's a pain. Who are you with? How much have they charged you? I can arrange a food parcel for you if you want? You're phoning a land line from a mobile? That's expensive.Who gave you that? Give me your log in details and maybe I can sort it for you. I have your phone number? They haven't cut you off? You have a problem with me being out? Do what you have to do.

The phone went brrrrrrrr..........

Twonker.

And yup, I get what what they were trying to do. Annoying, but not a problem. Sort of.


No comments: